When I was looking back at the year's archive of parenting posts one theme kept coming up again and again: gender. Our readers are a pretty progressive bunch and much of the discussion through the year was a reaction against marketing and media images portraying children in stereotypical gender roles. We also talked about breaking out of these stereotypes in our own homes.
• Pink Quandaries: What Color to Paint a Toy Mower?
• Solitary Man: Reflections of a Lone Dad at Playgroup
• LEGO Friends: Yay or Nay?
• Girlie-Girl Culture At Home
• GoldieBlox: Encouraging Girls to Embrace Engineering
• Swedish Toy Catalog Aims for Gender Neutral Imagery
• Happy 40th, Free To Be You And Me!
• Roominate: A Design Toy for Girls
• Children's Design Clichés & Self-Fulfilling Prophecies
• Going Gender Neutral: Kids' Twin Bedding
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits)