If you're a procrastinator like me, then you know you can't possibly tackle your design to do list without first creating a mood board. And not a digital version, no, we need our inspiration to physically stay in our faces and not get lost behind 10 other apps. This easy DIY mood board is upcycled from an old picture frame and a broken lamp, won't put any holes in your wall, and will get you in the mood to kick off all your fabulous projects for the new year.
Wood picture frame
Base from an old lamp
2-3 inch piece of wood dowel (about 5/8" diameter)
1. Remove glass and any nails, staples, and paper from frame.
2. Unscrew base from lamp. Snip cord to release all the lamp sections.
3. Drill a small hole into each end of dowel.
4. From the bottom of the lamp base, insert washer and screw up through hole and screw dowel onto lamp base.
5. Drill a small hole through the picture frame.
6. Insert screw into hole in picture frame and screw frame onto dowel.
7. Add screw eyes and wires across the back of the picture frame.
8. Spray paint the whole thing.
9. Clip on fabric swatches, paint chips, and inspiring photos.
(Images: Katie Steuernagle)