- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the big windows, which let in a lot of light and help the space feel larger. I also really appreciate the architectural details, which add a fun and quirky character to my small space.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Pack in Lots of Luxury.
Just because a space is small doesn't mean it can't be opulent. It is fortunately much cheaper to use more lavish materials when there is less square footage to cover. One example is the 70s style white long-haired shag rug, which would have cost a fortune in a large space. I also had fun splurging on vegan leather and velvet for custom cushions to upcycle my Ikea sofa.
2) Use Different Colors to Define Space
Although my apartment is really one big room, using multiple colors helped to separate out the various areas. The bedroom area is dark to reflect peace and rest, while the living room is a softer pearl pink to reflect fun and bring in the light from the windows.
3) Ignore Small Space Rules Like "No Bold Colors" or "No Big Patterns".
I have never been a fan of restrictions! I have always loved color (I drive an orange car!) and I enjoy coordinating patterns. My favorite is the custom wallpaper I installed on the bedroom wall dividers.