Gingham Check: The New Plaid?
We’ve heard a lot about how plaid is the pattern of the season, and we’re wondering what retro fabric will emerge as the next big trend. Gingham, maybe? It’s built on the same reassuring grid as plaid, but it’s a little more pared-down.
Whereas plaid, according to Merriam-Webster, is “a pattern of unevenly spaced repeated stripes crossing at right angles,” gingham (also known as check) is a plainer cloth of even, overlapping stripes that form repetitive squares. It’s often associated with country style, but we think it can work in a modern setting as well, with the right styling.
Here are a few examples of gingham home décor:
• 6 Winter Cottage Check Sham from Ralph Lauren, on sale for $83
• 7 Karastan “French Check” Blue Check Area Rug from Macy’s, $360 – $1,200
• 8 Buffalo Check Towel from Ralph Lauren, on sale for $15
• 9 Matignon Silk Checked Curtain from Ballard Designs, $160 – $200
• 10 Red and White Check Tablecloth from Sur la Table, $45
What do you think? Could gingham be the new plaid?