Good Question: Window Coverings for Small Narrow Windows

Good Question: Window Coverings for Small Narrow Windows

Gregory Han
Jan 5, 2009

Dear AT, we need help finding a good solution for the windows in the house we rent. We want something that will allow the light to come in from the two smaller side windows and that gives us privacy from the street at night. We have a flexible landlord and in the event that we move there's a good chance she will buy any window treatments we have from us...

We've bounced around the idea of pull down shades but we can't find anyone that makes them small enough for the two outside windows so we would have to do two large shades that cover all four windows. We don't love the curtains we have and we want something that goes better with what we already have in the space. Please help!!!! -Sarah

Sarah, I can personally recommend Just Blinds for custom sized roller shades at a reasonable price. We use two of these in our rental and they can be customized anywhere between 8"-191" width.

Another simple and fairly affordable ideas is using opaque window film. Static cling window film makes for a non-permanent solution and are available in a wide variety of sizes; there's a variety of other types and styles of window films that should fit your window and sense of style. And if you're feeling crafty, you could also look into using a preexisting IKEA ANNO SANELA window screen as noted in a previous reader question.

Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.
moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt