Good Questions: Chipped Glass Top

Good Questions: Chipped Glass Top

Janel Laban
May 11, 2006

AD wrote to us yesterday with a situation familiar to antique shoppers everywhere:

Hello AT,
I found an old Noguchi coffee table in an antique store and it's available at 1/10 of the price of a new one.

As you can imagine it's that cheap because some of the glass is chipped in two places. Can you suggest some place I could try to get the glass touched up or would I have to invest in a whole new glass top?

So stinky...find something you like at a price you like and then reality interferes. It's not likely that a fix is possible for a chipped glass top. There is a glass repair service called Glass Doctor in Chicago, but from what we understand that route won't work in this case.

Replacement also seems challenging here. The top has such a unique (and beautiful) shape, it's not a standard that is available at any of the glass top sources we checked., sells all sorts of tops and a Noguchi knockoff table for $349.95, but we did not see the glass top available on it's own.

Readers, any ideas or sources for AD? We'd love to see the bargain work out...

(Note: Include a pic of your problem and your question gets posted first. Email questions and pics with QUESTIONS in subject line to: chicago(at)apartmenttherapy(dot)com)
moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt