Resources for Wooden Bobbin Chairs?

Resources for Wooden Bobbin Chairs?

Aaron Able
Oct 15, 2009

Q: Good Morning! I was perusing Desire to Inspire and found the attached photograph. I am DRAWN to these chairs and would love to have them or something similar (sadly, the photo was credited to Douglas Friedman, but alas, his site is NO HELP WHAT SO EVER....and have I mentioned how much I love these chairs?). Does anyone know where I can find them or something similar? Thanks so much!

Sent by Nadine

Editor: I've asked our own Apartment Therapy experts — Johnny Williams of WoodWise and Anna Hoffman of Retrospect — to help define the type of chair to help you with your search:

JOHNNY: These types of chairs are called bobbin chairs. It is definitely accurate to call them "elaborately turned". From my understanding, the turnings and the design of the chairback (with multiple stiles and stretchers to be specific) are unique to this style furniture.

ANNA: This sort of turning, as well as more of a twisted form, were popular in 17th-century Holland and England and, to some extent, America. The form of this chair looks to me like a modern updating of a vernacular ladderback chair, with that Renaissance turning detail — but it's hard to tell from the photo. Here is a little history lesson on bobbin chairs — definitely English 17th c., but some of these look "sausage-turned" to me and others look like what I've learned to be characteristically Dutch, with twisted legs: The Development Of The English Oak Chair. Part 10.

Thanks, bloggers — do any readers have advice for where Nadine can find her own Bobbin Chairs?

(Note: Include a pic of your problem and your question gets posted first. Email questions and pics with QUESTIONS in subject line to: newyork(at)apartmenttherapy(dot)com)

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt