Good Questions: How Can I Fit a Cabinet Under My Countertop?

Good Questions: How Can I Fit a Cabinet Under My Countertop?

Maxwell Ryan
Apr 6, 2007

Hello AT,

I've just moved into a lovely rental apartment, with views across the road to a local park where the cute boys play football on the weekend. It's a great place, except for the most awful bathroom vanity and cabinet! The rectangular formica (or it could be cultured marble) countertop has a sink moulded into it. The countertop fits squarely over a particle board cabinet that is warped and split due to damp, and the drawers on the side have broken off their gliders. AUGH - it's awful...

(Note: Include a pic of your problem and your question gets posted first.
Email questions and pics with QUESTIONS in subject line to:
Link To All Good Questions

I don't think I can afford a new countertop (and I think the landlord would not want to pay for it, even if I do the install), so I'd like to know how I can fit a cabinet underneath the countertop. Is it easy for a novice handy-girl? Any other advice to make this bathroom a little nicer?

Also, the bathroom is lit with a single fluoro tube - how easy is it to change the fitting to incandescent? Maybe I could put up some lights over the vanity? I'd be thankful for any suggestions from the AT team!

Thanks! JaneyMac.

Dear JaneyMac,

We'd bet that you could easily replace the vanity under the sinktop, but that you might want to consider the whole thing, since it is the same amount of work and may not cost you much more.

What you should do is take your pics of the sink and the measurements to Home Depot or IKEA and look for a vanity that will fit your sink. Given the standard sizes that exist, you should be in luck.

Can you do this yourself? Yes, if you're handy and you have the tools. Unhooking the sink and taking the existing one apart does not require any complicated professional maneuvers, but disconnecting and reconnecting the plumbing takes care.

As for the lighting, switching out a flouro fixture for an incandescent is not hard either, but it really should be done by an electrician. If you buy the piece and have it ready for him, it should only cost you $100-$200 in labor, and will make a BIG difference in this room.

Anyone else?

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt