Dear Apartment Therapy LA,
In November you were kind enough to post a question I had about finding a small space interior designer. I received many great responses but decided that I could do this on my own and with help from a friend. I went out and bought some basic pieces that I love and figured I could build from there. It has been a very slow process for me and I want it over!
Above are pics of where I am at now and would appreciate ideas for moving forward. Here are some specifics I am having trouble working out on my own...
- I want to do outside mount woven wood shades on the two large windows on each side of the fireplace starting at the ceiling. Should I stay with a neutral or light shade or go dark to match the walnut cabinets? Or should I go with fabric?
- The buildout I had done above the fireplace hides the arm the TV is on. The TV can be pulled out and swivels towards the kitchen or living room (yes I watch a lot of tv and as you can see by the cabinet shelves I don't read!) What sort of finish would complement the cabinets. I've looked at several metallic faux finishes and some textured wall papers.
- Finding an end table and small coffee table seems like such an easy task but the search has been exhausting. I've been everywhere from thrift stores to high end shops. I fear my place is starting to look like a furniture store and I want to find some pieces that have character. The same thing goes for a tall lamp on one side of the sofa.
- I need a light fixture for over the dining table. The window next to the table lets in light to the kitchen so the fixture needs to be somewhat transparent. I've been looking at the Random Light by Moooi but am afraid at 19.75" in diameter it will look too large. The table is 47" in diameter.
- Should the walls be darker or will it be fine once I get some more art up?
Any suggestions would be appreciated and taken into consideration. Thanks, Michael