- Washington, DC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- My place was a total apartment-hunting unicorn: when I found it, it was affordable, a short commute, and located on a quiet, one-way street just around the block from parks, restaurants, and a grocery store. There's no way I wasn't taking it, even with carpet (it turns out allergies can be held at bay if you splurge on a really good (tiny) vacuum). I've definitely grown to love it even more after moving in though- my favorite thing is probably that I get great light through the day until the late evening, and the view of the back alley is blocked out by the amount of trees in the back yard. It's a very woody break from city view, and it really is a cozy, bright spot to unwind.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Plan out layout, measure everything, and scale your furniture- I had the space planned out for all the furniture I needed before I made it to the store, and it helped keep frustration low.
2) Pare down everything that isn't functional and used regularly- the best way for me to keep kitchen cabinets from overflowing was to skip appliances and invest in a really good knife.
3) It's okay to still collect things you love. I have a lot of books, toys, and art (no wall is safe) and hauling them from place to place is a pain but I do it anyway. It's hard to back up enough to get a good picture of fun features in the context of the room they're in, but maybe it's for the best I can't show a design site how there's a giant action figure collection in the open shelving above my toilet.