We already know that sleeping with your phone can negatively impact your health and relationship, but if that's not enough to break your before bed screen habit, then perhaps the risk of fire will have you thinking twice before tucking in next to your electronics.
A New Hampshire fire department recently posted a powerful message on Facebook about the dangers of sleeping with your charging electronics. Here's what they had to say:
Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.
And the photos are definitely a sobering reminder:
Popsugar reports that 72 percent of kids and 89 percent of teens have at least one device in their "sleep environment," according to a National Sleep Foundations poll in 2013. So even charging a phone and streaming a show at the same time could be dangerous if you happen to fall asleep—something even those of us no longer in our teens have probably done at least once or twice.
To be safe, always use a charger that is certified by your phone manufacturer, and "avoid charging in extreme environmental conditions — too hot or too cold — and charge your device out of any case, as that can generate excess heat," says Rachel Rothman, Chief Technologist at the Good Housekeeping Institute.
And watch out for these fire starters, too
h/t House Beautiful