HGTV Host Taniya Nayak’s Home with a River View
Name: Taniya Nayak
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Size: 2500 Square Feet
Years lived in: 1 year
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
The inspiration for Taniya’s home is an environmental element: the river. Every window in the home has a view of it, which is a great way to start off each day. Taniya kept to a neutral palette while incorporating a few different colors into each space. However her favorite color, green, is integrated into almost every room; from bright limes to chartreuse to greenish golds.
After Taniya purchased her new home she spent two months in renovation. The almost complete renovation included tearing down a wall, adding recessed lights throughout, installing a fireplace, building out the wall for the fireplace and TV, gutting two bathrooms, installing a tile backsplash in the kitchen, painting all walls, and changing all the floors. Minimum shelving is used to avoid collecting clutter. When furnishing the space, Taniya tried to keep to the budget by finding great deals online. The last room to undergo a transformation is the kitchen! Stay tuned for Taniya’s before/after kitchen photos.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I’m a “mixed styles” kind of girl. My home is a cross between transitional, industrial, and mid-century modern.
Inspiration: The inspiration for my home came directly from the gorgeous view of the river. It was important to me that my house be comfortable and beautiful, but not take away from the view which is the very reason we bought the place.
Favorite Element: I LOVE our fabricated concrete wall with the elongated fireplace.
Biggest Challenge: The challenge was finding the look I wanted while still staying within our budget. After purchasing a new home, the bank account was a little tapped out! I relied on my favorite internet sites for furniture and HomeGoods for accessories and bedding.
What Friends Say: The best compliment I have received is that the space is very comfortable. I always wanted a home where people weren’t afraid to kick up their feet or scared to eat on the sofa.
Biggest Embarrassment: I picked out the most gorgeous backsplash tile for my kitchen. One side of the tile was faded and dull, similar to sea glass, and the other side was glossy and shiny. When the tile was being installed, I didn’t even realize that the contractor was putting it up showing the wrong side: the glossy side! By the time I realized the mistake, it was too late.
Proudest DIY: I’m pretty proud of my horseshoes in the powder room. They are odd, but they add texture to the walls. I love it!
Biggest Indulgence: My biggest indulgence would be my 60″ fireplace. It was definitely a splurge, but well worth it.
Best advice: Always throw something into the mix that doesn’t necessarily go with everything else because it gives guests something to talk about.
Dream source: HomeGoods
Resources of Note:
- Sofa and Green Womb Chair: KMP Furniture
- Barstools, Dining Table, Beds, and Arc Lamp: Exotica Unique
- Buffet Table (Living Room), Leather Ottoman (Living Room), and Chaise (Bedroom): Crate&Barrel
- Leather Chair in Guest Room: HoomGoods
- Master Bedroom Dresser, End Tables, and Leaning Mirror: BoConcept
- Chandelier in the Dining Room: Yale Electric
- Lamps in Master Bedroom: Ikea
- Bedroom: Coastal Fog
- Guest Bedroom: Morning Dew
- Living Room: Early Morning Mist
- Accent Walls: Wildwood Crest
Mohawk Flooring: Mocha 5″ Engineered
RUGS & CARPETS
Mohawk Flooring: Wall-to-Wall in the Bedrooms and Custom Cut for the Living Room and Dining room
Came with the House
Made by My Mom
TILE & STONE
Images: Jason Kan
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.