Home Alone is by far one of my favorite holiday movies. As a kid, I used to watch it year-round with my brother and am now able to recite just about every line (don't worry—I won't!). This year, we decided to have some fun and have a Home Alone-themed Christmas party for all those pals that are nostalgic for early 90's fun. Here's a look at what we have planned and how you can create your own McAllister family Christmas!
1. You're part of the decoration, right? Make this awesome Angels With Filthy Souls quoted sweatshirt your outfit. From The Source Shop on Etsy, $19.95
2. No, you probably won't want to buy a new rug for a party — but if you have a bright red, festive one somewhere in the house, maybe a move is in order! Like this one from IKEA, $39.99.
3. Grab some napkins that will match the McAllisters' wallpaper! These are pretty close: from Williams-Sonoma, Holiday Toile Napkins, $29.95 for a set of 4.
4. Your party will not be complete without an endless supply of Nutcrackers laying around. This was my favorite: The Ugly Sweater Nutcracker from Cb2, $34.95.
5. No fine china here — grab yourself some paper plates like this 100-count batch from Amazon for $5.50.
6. Hang these on your tree instead of setting a trap for your guests. Vintage-looking Global Faceted Drop Ornament from Crate & Barrel, $9.95.
7. No Home Alone Party would be complete without a classic looking tree. If you're not in the mood for sawing one down in your backyard, consider this Martha Stewart tree, available at Home Depot, $199.
8. This one's the toughie: finding the exact vintage, collectible Michael Jordan cutout to dance around your living room on a train may be difficult and cost you a pretty penny. Consider finding a cheaper (mini) version and mounting him on cardboard, like this one from All Posters, $9.99.
9. Don't forget to hang the family's stockings! If you're going all out, you can even create stockings with Kevin's siblings' names on them (that's Buzz, Jeff, Megan, Linnie, and of course — Kevin) like these from Pottery Barn Kids, $18 each.
10. Traditional twinkling white lights! Home Alone was littered with them! Target, $14.99
11. Set these army men up around the party or give them away as party favors: Oriental Trading Company, $5
12. A fun game for the party — see who can guess how many poinsettias you can spot in the film. I promise it's impossible to count. You can find poinsettias at your local nursery or grocery store. Be careful though! They are poisonous to pets.
1. "Bless this highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner and the people who sold it on sale. Amen." Whip up some traditional Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, or make a more gourmet version like this one from Martha Stewart.
2. The coup de grâce: lovely cheese pizza. Make your own or order this one from Domino's.
3. Don't spoil your dinner: Tic Tacs for party favors in Green Apple or Wintergreen.
4. Go easy on the Pepsi! But enjoy it nonetheless. A nineties favorite, perfect for this party.
Put a spin on the food! For non-purists, consider these fun recipes for a nod to the movie.
• Homemade Extra Cheese Pizza
• Champagne Cocktail
• Skewered Shrimp and Ham with Apple Jelly (Frank, those are for later).
The Music (as if we really need to tell you):
(Images: As credited above)