Skill Level: Easy
Time Required: 1 hour
Project Cost: $5-10 (depending on the size)
White Fabric (I used a heavy canvas)
Embroidery thread and needle
Permanent marker (with a fine tip)
Printable iron-on transfers (compatible with your printer)
- Find a black & white photo of those you love and edit it as you see fit.
- Print and iron your image onto your fabric, according your transfer's instructions.
- After the image has cooled, place it into an embroidery hoop. Adjust as needed so the circle frames the photo nicely.
- Sketch out your intended design onto the fabric. Make sure the line is thin enough that it will be hidden once you stitch over it.
- Embroider over your chosen design with the appropriate stitch. Here, Nancy used a split stitch for the branch, and a satin stitch for the leaves.
- Tie on a ribbon for hanging.
Many thanks to Nancy for sharing how to make this embroidered photo transfer. Find more info and photos on her blog, Do Small Things With Love.
This month, Apartment Therapy is featuring homemade gift ideas made and submitted by you, the readers. Check back every day for a new project, or head over to see all the DIY gift ideas from 2014 and years' past.
Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.