Homemade Holiday Gift Idea!: Make Easy Custom Coasters
Maker: Red House West
Skill Level: Easy
Time Required: 1 Day (including drying time)
Project Cost: Less than $5 per set (if you already have the tools)
The sky’s the limit when it comes to these coasters. Make different sets for each friend, colleague, or family member — using original artwork, found images, or even personal photos.
- Set up your images in a grids of four (2 on top and 2 on bottom), with no white space in between. Print out, and cut off excess white space around the grid. Don’t cut out the photos individually.
- Apply Mod Podge to the back of your paper grid and also the cork board. Place the paper on the cork, then use your fingers to spread out any wrinkles or bubbles. Allow to dry completely (preferably overnight).
- Use a (very sharp) utility knife and straight edge to cut off the excess cork and then to cut your images into individual squares.
- Use your knife and straight edge to cut the corners off of your images. This step is optional.
- Apply Mod Podge to the edges and top of your images. Allow to dry completely (at least a couple of hours if not overnight).
Thanks to Katie & Mera for showing us how to make these colorful coasters. You can see more photos over at Red House West…
All this month, Apartment Therapy is featuring homemade gift ideas made and submitted by you, the readers. Check back every day for a new project, or head over to see all the DIY gift ideas from 2014 and years’ past.