Homemade Holiday Gift Idea: Custom Solid Perfume
Solid perfume is a handmade gift that is just about as fun to make as it is to receive. Channel your inner chemist and blend oils to create your favorite wintery scents. You can shop for fun little jars, or repurpose old lockets and storage containers. Just make a stop at the health food store for quality oils and beeswax and you’re ready to start creating a personalized gift.
What You Need
- 1 1/2 oz tins
- 1 1/2 heaping tsp. beeswax pellets (or shreds)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Jojoba or Almond oil
- 30-40 drops essential oils
- Wood stir stick
- Microwave or double boiler
- 2 non-metal bowls
Note: Measurements above fill one _ oz tin.
1. Measure out 1 1/2 tbsp. oil and add in 30-50 drops of various combinations of essential oils.
For a woodsy wintery blend, combine 5-10 drops each of: spruce, juniper berry, cedar wood, and vetiver oils, and 20 drops of bergamot oil.
For a calming perfume, blend 5-10 drops each of lavender, nutmeg, vanilla, ylang ylang, and clove essential oils.
2. In a microwave safe dish, melt the beeswax in 1 minute intervals, stirring between each. (It took me about 3 minutes to melt the wax completely.) Remove from microwave with potholders, the dish will be very hot!
3. Pour the oil blend into the bowl of melted wax and mix.
4. Pop the bowl back into the microwave for another 30 seconds or so until the wax has completely melted once again.
5. Carefully pour the melted wax and oil blend into your vessel. You should have more than enough wax to fill one jar, but you can add any leftovers to start a new jar and add the new batch on top of that.
6. Let the jar sit undisturbed for 30 minutes or so until it hardens.
7. Personalize or decorate the lid with fun paper and you’re all set!
Have a really great DIY project or tutorial that you want to share with others? Let us know! We love checking out what you’re making these days, and learning from our readers. When you’re ready, click here to submit your project and photos.