Guests who won't leave, damage your home, make outrageous demands - can you relate? Sadly, we can and it's making want to switch our sleeper sofa with something a little less comfortable, maybe a spiked board. For now, we've rounded up house guest horror stories and tips on getting guests to leave...
Ways to Get House Guests to Leave:
• Be firm, clear, honest, direct, and as kind as possible in offering to help make arrangements for their departure. This could involve calling a taxi, suggesting a hotel, or finding a bus.
• Get rid of incentives. Stop giving them car rides and cooking dinner. Unplug the television.
• Ask that long term guests share some of the bills (electricity, food, and other utilities). If they have damaged your home in some way, ask them to either fix it or cover the cost of having someone else do so.
• Insist on a time limit. Ask your guest to leave by the agreed upon date.
Do you have a house guest horror story? How have you gotten bad guests to leave?
More on Horrible House Guests and Avoid Being One:
• "It's August. They're Coming for You." from The New York Times.
• Confessions of a Horrible Houseguest from [the nest]
• International Etiquette: Being A Guest
(Images: Upper Crust Maids' Blog)