When we came across Garden Genius Pot Filler, a lightweight pot filler that saves you from loading down large pots up with heavy soil, we thought it was a great idea. We immediately realized however that there are plenty of other things I have laying around the house that would work just as well. See a few, after the jump.
Garden Genius Pot Filler is a lightweight pot filler that saves you from loading large pots up with heavy soil (especially handy for those in apartments or with plants you have to move around a lot). There are plenty other things that do the same job that you probably already have lying around at home or work.
- Pot Within a Pot
- Pebbles or rocks (not light weight, however)
- Shredded paper
- Plastic containers (milk cartons, water bottles, soda bottles)
- Aluminum cans and other cans
- Packing material including peanuts or Styrofoam (See also 9 Ways to Reuse Packing Peanuts
If you're still interested in Garden Genius Light-weight Pot Filler, here are the selling points:
- Provides exceptional drainage important to plant health.
- Use instead of rocks for less weight
- Use less soil per pot
- Can be used in outdoor and indoor containers
- Can be rinsed and reused
- Three sizes; oversized filler will fit in smaller pots or may be cut for a custom fit