House & Home Roundup: 04.12.07
Excess! This week, the section has two extremes: spending and green. Half the articles showcase elaborate spending and the others present the battle between the urge for instant gratification and the urge to go greener (in laundry and lawns)…
- The Drive-In Without the Drive. “Feeling a little bored in the backyard with your pool, spa, outdoor kitchen, tennis court, fireplace and fire pit? Fear not.”
- Reinventing the Clubhouse in the Sky. While these are some extreme examples of treehouses, the treehouse slideshow is fun.
- To Fight Global Warming, Some Hang a Clothesline. (But only in their gated community, behind the hedge).
- Are Bugs the Pests, or Humans? Organic Lawns Take Hold. Manipulating the “soil food web.”
- Recliner Inches Closer to the Backyard Grill. Another example of bringing inside outside.
- Personal Shopper: Small Space Add-ons.
(Photographs by Jim Wilson, Len Kaufman, Vincent Thfoin, Sara Remington, Stuart Isett)