House & Home Roundup: July 28, 2005
This week’s lead story is a good one. Mokoto Rich’s Trapped in a Bubble elegantly and depressingly outlines the fate of all those who have gotten high off thinking they have made a ton of money in selling their apartment , and yet can’t afford to trade up.
- Futuro Flashback: The Prefab From Another Planet: This story on Matti Suuronen’s 1968 Futuro house is a wonder piece of design history.
- From Curbside to Canvas: THe House as Muse: The original house from “American Gothic” is still standing in Eldon, Iowa!
- For the Wall: Lace, Pearls and Interactive Paper: Ms. Rohrlich pulls together a good shortlist of funky new modern wallpapers.
- How do I go about finding and hiring a good decorator?
Mitchell Owens gives a few answers but neglects to mention us…. shucks.
- If East Weds West, Who Disciplines The Plants?
Anne Raver has a slow day… A pairing of a wedding announcement from the styles section with gardening style, this features the romance and garden of Holly and Osamu Shimizu in Maryland.
Currents: Los Angeles
- More scoop on the art installation, Maximilian’s Schell, in Silver Lake
- More scoop on Hannspree’s new line of lifestyle Televisions
- Espasso with Brazilian furniture by Carlos Junquieria opens a west coast shop in Melrose
- There’s a new open air market called Peddler on the Roof in Hollywood
- Jennifer Pritchard’s interior work for restaurant Providence is noted