Steve & Heather’s Colorful San Francisco House
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Steve and Heather Sacks, kids Cameron and Jasmine, and dogs Rockit and Haley
Location: Potrero Hill; San Francisco, California
Size: 2,400 square feet
Years lived in: 5 1/2 years; Owned
Walking into Steve and Heather’s home makes you feel like you have escaped to a relaxing, tropical retreat in the middle of a city best known for its cold and foggy summers. The Sacks family took on a full renovation of the house after living in it for four years, and the home was transformed from a small, dark 1903 A-frame to a multilevel home that basks in sunshine and views of San Francisco.
Heather owns Sayde Mark Designs, a home staging company in San Francisco, and as a result, her style is constantly evolving thanks to new furniture, accessories, and combinations as she moves around her inventory. Her home is the complete opposite, with artwork that is very meaningful to the family and colorful furnishings meant to bring people together, from a dining table that seats 14 to plenty of lounge chairs on the multiple terraces.
When it came time to make her home more livable for their family, Heather and Steve wanted to bring lots of natural light into the home and have a sense of humor with their art and furniture. The renovation included blowing out the A-frame roof to add on a third story, and the living areas are all arranged on the uppermost floor to take advantage of the extensive views of the city. With the kitchen at the top of a three-story building in hilly San Francisco, Heather and Steve installed a Dutch-inspired electric pulley system on the front of the house to carry up their groceries and party supplies. The hoist system delivers items directly into their pantry. Complete with an open floor plan and a disco ball, this family home is party-ready any day of the week.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Tropical, funky, global, bohemian
Inspiration: Sig Bergamin, Jonathan Adler, Trina Turk, and Kelly Wearstler
Favorite Element: The views of the city
Biggest Challenge: So many design choices
What Friends Say: Wow!
Biggest Embarrassment: Yard work…can’t seem to keep up. It’s always overgrown.
Proudest DIY: I’m not really a DIY’er.
Biggest Indulgence: major remodel, added another level
Best Advice: Buy what you love, keep a sense of humor during challenging remodeling surprises/hurdles/expenses.
Dream Sources: Morocco, Mexico, Paris, RH Modern, HD Buttercup, ABC Carpet & Home, DWR
PAINTS & COLORS
- Entry: Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray
- Living room: Benjamin Moore Atrium White
- Dining room: wide-plank white oak paneled walls
- Master bedroom: Flavor Paper Wallpaper
- Cameron’s bedroom: Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray
- Jasmine’s bedroom: Flavor Paper Wallpaper
- Glitter painting (on landing): René Garcia Jr.
- Sofa: Craigslist, with back cushions removed and replaced with throw pillows from assorted home stores including Anthropologie and Crate & Barrel
- Coffee table: Room & Board via Craigslist
- Rug: Anthropologie
- Egg chair: Restoration Hardware
- Chandelier: Jonathan Adler
- Dining table: HD Buttercup
- Backsplash: Heath Ceramics tile
- Countertops: granite, stainless steel
- Cabinets: custom white laminate
- Swing stools: Dot & Bo
- Yellow barstools: CB2 via Craigslist
- Light fixtures: HD Buttercup
- Bedding: HomeGoods
- Mirror: HomeGoods
- Nightstand: West Elm
- Ceiling pendant: West Elm
- Rug: One Kings Lane
- Round tripod table: West Elm
- Artwork: Parvez Taj, flea markets, 3 Fishes Studios, concerts
- Bedding: PB Teen
- Rug: Cost Plus
- Shelf: IKEA
- Desk: IKEA
- Artwork: Art.com
- Mirror: Horchow
- Surf photography: One Kings Lane
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!