Name: Scott and Alyssa
Location: Decatur, GA
Size: 1,650 square feet
Years lived in: almost 4 years
Scott and Alyssa's home just outside Atlanta is one that's fun and full of character. With mixtures of prints and patterns, colors and textures, their home is a vibrant blend of their personalities. One that says stay awhile, have a good time, and don't take yourself too seriously. Now, that's a vibe I can get along with.
I didn't get to meet Scott during my House Tour shoot, but Alyssa and I instantly bonded. We talked a while about her growing up in New York, music, art, inspiration... you know, all the good things in life. While she opened up, I could instantly tie her warmth and spirit to the design of the home. Every detail belonged and added to the story of each room.
Alyssa specializes in visual merchandising with her company, Grafite, and also designs jewelry for her line, Connie & Jack. She has a natural knack for not only designing a space, but creating an environment. This skill set has come in handy as she's brought a classic house to life. Celebrating what makes us human and unique, Alyssa isn't afraid to highlight all of the family's interests, including her husband's nerdy tendencies. Rather than boxing all that away into a forgotten closet somewhere, these mementos and memories are framed and displayed in the home. She's somehow made the college poster grow up into a cool and chic addition to any room- a difficult feat for anyone. This blending of eclectic design and personality definitely shaped this home and my experience of it, and I believe my mind has officially been opened in the best way possible.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Hmm, let's see, how about we call it modern-industrial-bohemian-classic with a lil' sci-fi twist ....
Inspiration: The Industrial Revolution era, Mid-century Modern design, Modern Design, tribal and traditional art and textiles from all over world, Iris Apfel, Michele Lamy, the '20s, '30s , '60s, and '70s, nature, movies, fashion, history ....
Favorite Element: The original doors, windows, molding, and baseboards
Biggest Challenge: Small bathrooms. That, and there isn't any parking on our street, and we have a single lane driveway that leads to the back. Parking is always a problem when friends come over.
What Friends Say: It feels so much bigger than it looks!
Biggest Embarrassment: The master bath ☹ ….. Nothing master about it.
Proudest DIY: Mmm, I have two … The coffee table was painted black. I was going to replace it, but decided to give it a second chance. I stripped and sanded it down then aged it a bit. The second is the table lamp near the front door- it’s a old rusted lab stand, iron ring, and utility clamp that I made into a simple lamp.
Biggest Indulgence: While it may not be for everyone, the Imperial Forces Flocked wallpaper in Scott's office. It's hilarious to me, but also looks great while satisfying the nerd in Scott. I mean and it's flocked …. Really, who doesn’t love some flocked wallpaper. :)
Best Advice: Objects in repetition are always a good idea. Like the vintage pulleys hung on the wall in the master bathroom, or the clear box of old bingo balls in the dining room or mason jars full of 1920s Gillette blue blade razors.
Dream Sources: Stanton Home Furnishings, Scott's Antique, ABC Carpet and Home, Instagram , yard and tag sales, hardware stores, DWR, Rust N Dust, Antique Factory, Broad Street Antiques, Highland Row Antiques, Fishs Eddy, Biggar Antiques, Ikea, Restoration Hardware, City Issue, Uncommon Objects, Paris on Ponce, St Vincent De Paul thrift shops, Anthropologie, eBay, Etsy, Urban Remains Chicago, Metro Retro Furniture, One Kings Lane, Gilt, MOCA store, MOMA store... I feel like I have to stop cause this list could go on forever.
PAINT & COLORS
- Office wallpaper (above): Imperial Forces wallpaper by Walnut Wallpaper
- Front door: Sherwin Williams Calico
- Exterior trim: Sherwin Williams Green Black
- Living room: Ralph Lauren Cymric Silver
- Dining room: Ralph Lauren Cymric Silver
- Kitchen : Ralph Lauren Cymric Silver
- Hall: Behr Marquee Limousine Leather
- Guest room: Ralph Lauren Polaris
- Master bedroom: Ralph Lauren Lamp Room Grey
- Master bathroom Ralph Lauren Lamp Room Grey and Behr Marquee Limousine Black
- Chandelier: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Outdoor sectional: Ikea
- Outdoor rug: Ballard Designs
- Lanterns: Anthropologie
- Sofa: Stanton Home Furnishings, custom order
- Wing chairs: Stanton Home Furnishings, custom order
- Motorcycle riders (on mantel): Yve Assad
- Saint Rock (on mantel): Amie Davis
- Buddha head (on mantel): Scott's Antique Market
- NY Public Library image: Bernice Abbott, Scott's Antique Market
- Train Track black and white photo: Alex Franic
- 1971 Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier original ad poster: REEL ART
- Urban Decay photo: Jay Scott
- Rug: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Greek key pillows: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Stripe faux fur pillows: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Pill pillow: Pieces by Jonathan Adler
- Pale pink pillows: Cb2
- Hospital stretcher turned into console: Scott's Antique
- Bronze bird skull: artist Octavia Carney
- Honore wall art tray and Islid wall art trays: IBRIDE from Switch Modern
- Ambroise Tray: IBRIDE from Sedoni Gallery
- Chair: Stanton Home Furnishings, custom order
- 1970 Burford the Great Co. art: Byron Burford
- Chandelier: Restoration Hardware
- Silver Oryx: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Pillows on chair: Jonathan Adler
- Blanket on chair: Basotho Battle of Britain limited edition throw for Anthropologie
- Beatles White Album poster: was Scott's Dad's that he had rolled up in tube for years, framing by Soho Myriad
- Vintage school stools: Scott's Antique
- Train number sign: Scott's Antique
JEWELRY WORK ROOM / LAUNDRY ROOM
- Chair: Ballard Designs
- Rug: Kudzu Antiques
- Taxi Driver movie poster: REEL ART
- Two white cabinets: Ikea
- Abstract art: Northern Waterfall from Stanton Home Furnishings
- San Miguel blanket: Pendleton
- Bovine pillow: Archival Décor
- Vintage pulleys: Rust N Dust
- Untitled duo: Jordan Eagles
- Console: Ikea
- Rug: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Floral pillows: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Grey dot pillows: Stanton Home Furnishings
- Stripe roll pillows: West Elm
- Boy and girl lamps: Barbara Cosgrove
- Rug: World of Rugs
- Desk: Restoration Hardware
- Imperial Forces wallpaper: Walnut Wallpaper
- Shelving unit: Ballard Designs
- Children with bunny masks: artist C. Dawn Davis
- Art over daybed: signed Dragon's Lair poster (Scott's favorite piece)
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!