Name: Julie and Andrew
Location: San Francisco
Size: 850 sq. ft.
Years lived in: 1 year
It comes as no surprise that while Julie's an interior designer and Andrew's a creative director for an online advertising agency, they're both artists. They have a beautiful, fun, light, art-filled home, as well as a lovely kitty named Mona.
Do you have an idea for a house tour? Let us know! tips (at) sf (dot) apartmenttherapy (dot) com
Our style: Mid-century meets flea market meets industrial salvage yard meets urban art.
The inspiration for our home: Art objects we like, both little and big.
Favorite element: The light. We live in a corner condo and sunlight moves to light different parts of our house all day.
Biggest challenge in designing our home: Our place was built in 1926 without modern drywall. It's almost impossible to hang anything directly on the walls.
What family say about our home: "It's so grown up." But that was only because we had extra pillows when they stay over.
Biggest embarrassment in our home: The bathroom.
Proudest DIY: Our idea to hang sheets of translucent polypropylene on the lower half of each window for privacy. The plastic diffuses the sunlight and allows us to keep the upper half open to see the trees outside.
Biggest indulgence with respect to our home: The dishwasher!
Best advice given or received: "Don't think about it so much."
• 1950 (or 1951?) O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove
• Naked Furniture desk
• Ikea lockers
• Red cabinet - Random import store now closed
• Naked Furniture headboard
• Eames lounge chair vintage knock-off
• We both love trolling flea markets for accessories and art. Almost everything we have out now is either made by one of us or has been found at one of our scavenger hunts.
• Z Gallerie - bamboo hanging lamp
• Original floors
Rugs and Carpets
• Crate and Barrel - Bamboo area rug
• SF Design Center - Cowhide area rug
• West Elm - jute boucle rug
• "High Time" by Shepard Fairey
• Jung-Koch-Quentell botanical chart
• "Tim" by Julie
• "Untitled" by Chris Gleibe (find more cool work at gliebe.net)
• "Matrix" by Andrew (big metal, tiled art above Eames chairs)
• "Spikey Balls" by Andrew
Thanks, Julie and Andrew!