How Can I Fix a Warped Record?

How Can I Fix a Warped Record?

Gregory Han
Feb 7, 2012

Q: I've got a slightly unusual query and a little low-tech in nature. I love and listen to vinyl, with a good deal of my record collection sourced from yard and garage sales. Not surprisingly, some of the 25 cent specials are a little worn for wear. Wobbly and uneven. Is there a way to safely un-warp a record straight?

Sent by Q.

Editor - That's the Robert Crumb trying to melt his 78 record in the oven, trying to solve the same issue you've mentioned. As noted in the originating post, melting your record back into shape is "a difficult process, and one that can easily destroy the record as well."

Here's another technique for using a hair dryer to more carefully heat a 45 back into shape. The process looks like it may take awhile, but appears to be more of a controlled process than Crumb's easy bake oven technique.

If the record is just barely warped, Pro-Ject's Record Puck can be a quick fix. The solid brass puck weighs 1lb 12oz and eliminates resonance caused by a warped record for non-spindle turntables.

Got a good question you'd like answered? Send your queries with the subject "Tech Reader Question"; please include a photo or two illustrating your question, and we'll see if the Apartment Therapy team or our readers can help answer your question.

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt