Detoxify The Air Inside
It’s a long list, and not all of it is readily integrated into habit. But if curing your home encompasses the idea of creating a home space that supports your physical health, this list is a great place to start.
Here are some of the most easily attainable goals from the list:
• Don’t lick the walls (OK, this one’s not from the list)
• Leave shoes in the entryway
• Use a washable doormat
• Bare washable floors and area rugs are better than wall-to-wall carpeting
• Ban cigarettes
• Avoid burning candles or air fresheners scented with synthetic fragrances (they contain phthalates)
• Ventilate well for more air exchange, especially in high-humidity areas like bathrooms and kitchens to prevent mold and mildew growth
• Look on labels for no- or low-VOC cleaners, paints, glues and plywood
• Clean! To get rid of harmful EDCs and VOCs that accumulate in dust, dust and damp mop frequently, wash bedding in hot water biweekly to kill dust mites and vacuum at least once a week using a machine with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter.