How To Live Packaging-Free
Eliminating, or even reducing, the amount of packing in our lives is an ongoing process. It isn’t usually something that can be done overnight, but with conscientious shopping and a DIY spirit, there are countless ways to reduce waste. Here are some of our tips. What are yours?
What You Need
Your creativity and resolve
• Bring bags. Don’t forget your reusable shopping bags. Need help remembering? Check out these tips.
• Get crafty. Take up urban homesteading practices like growing your own food, home canning, and baking bread. Develop a network of friends and neighbors to share your individual efforts.
• Do it yourself – house cleaning. Making your own cleaning products might not eliminate packaging completely (you still need to procure the ingredients), but it can help you cut down considerably. If possible, buy ingredients like baking soda in or from bulk, and if you’re really ambitious, you can make your own white vinegar!
• Take a break. Re-think your grooming habits. We’re not suggesting you let yourself go, but take a break from hair product, foundation, or anti-aging cream for a week or two and see whether you really “need” it. Chances are, you’ll look and feel perfectly fine with less.
• Shop smart. Inevitably, you will buy some packaged goods, but consider packaging that’s reusable and recyclable. Avoid excessive packaging like individually-wrapped produce and look for products in bulk, concentrate form, or refillable containers. If you regularly shop online, you might also consider buying more things locally to reduce packing material waste.
Do you have any other tips for packaging-free living?
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
We’re looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!