Our home had a corner of underutilized space that was begging for a reading nook. On a recent trip to IKEA, we found a discounted Karlstad chair with a deep seat that seemed like the perfect fit, so we brought it home and set to work giving the corner a mini makeover.
What You Need
• An armchair with a wide, deep seat to curl up in
• Side table large enough for books
• Floor lamp, table lamp, or sconce
• Throw pillow and a blanket
• Artwork and/or other accessories
• Karlstad Armchair from IKEA, $250 (comes with a 10-year warranty)
• Prince Aha Stool from Design Within Reach, $110
• Floor Lamp from JCPenney, no longer available
• Framed Drawing from Rothschilds Antiques
• Lush Pillow from Unison Home, on sale for $36
• Ralph Lauren Cable Knit Throw, $100
- Clear out a corner or alcove in your home.
- Add a comfortable armchair with a wide, deep seat.
- Add a side table.
- Plug in a floor lamp or table lamp, or hardwire a sconce. Some people prefer to use adjustable task lighting.
- Add a throw pillow and a blanket to warm up the area.
- Hang some artwork or use other accessories, like a footstool or rug, to personalize the space.
- Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.
- Grab a book.
- Start reading!
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Sarah Coffey)