The first time I made a batch of playdough for my son I was amazed. Amazed that the recipe worked, amazed at how quick and easy it was and, mostly, amazed at how much nicer it was than the kind that comes in a can. Smooth, supple and soft, even months later. If you're still buying dough in a can, I urge you to convert. And there's a whole world of art supplies you can make in your own kitchen - some I've never even heard of like flubber, glurch, gak and oobleck.
Here's my big bookmark list for making homemade art supplies. Most recipes use common household ingredients and can be made with your kids - a "twofer" Heck, you could all be playing with glurch five minutes from now!
• Basic Playdough - Homemade by Jill for on Skip To My Lou
• Uncooked Playdough - Karol's Kitchen
• Gluten-Free Playdough - Celiac Sprue Association
• Kool-Aid Playdough - Chocolate On My Cranium
• Edible Chocolate Play Dough - Instructables User Its Your Dime
• Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough - Instructables User Its Your Dime
• Scented Playdough - Minieco
*note: some of these names are used interchangeably and without consensus so one man's glurch is another man's gak!
• Flubber/Silly Putty - Pepper Paints
• "Clean" Slime/Oobleck - Ohdeedoh (sometimes referred to as oobleck after the Dr. Seuss book Bartholomew and the Oobleck.
• Gak - Polliwog's Cakewalk (sometimes spelled "gack")
• Silly Putty/Glurch - Toms River Mom
• Glurch - My Little Gems (another version)
• Beeswax Crayons - Wee Folk Art
• Soy Wax Crayons - Wee Folk Art
• Crayon Nibbles - My Magic Mom
• Sidewalk Chalk - Tiffany Teske for Craftbits (find Tiffany at Art, Food and Motherhood)
• Egg Shaped Sidewalk Chalk - Skip To My Lou (slightly different recipe)
I also found some great blogs and websites that list multiple recipes for homemade art supplies all in one place:
• Artists Helping Children - roster of recipes including facepaint, clay, and glue.
• Fresno Family - over a dozen different dough recipes.
• Play Dough Recipe.org - all dough all the time.
• Kid Activities.net - all kinds of doughs here and other recipes here.
• My Mommy Makes It and here - crayons, dough, fingerpaint, gack, and more.
• Better Budgeting - 20 recipes for homemade art supplies.
• Creative Kids at Home
• Blue Bonnet Village - doughs, clays and over six kinds of paints.
• Kinder Art - comprehensive list of recipes.