"Parks and Recreation" has been off the air for more than eight months now, and I can't be the only one that's starting to have withdrawals. In fact, I feel my life working its way into a downward spiral now that I don't have the words of Ron Swanson guiding me through every day. It turns out there was a lot of wisdom in his manly quips and one-liners.
"People who buy things are suckers."
Whenever possible, make. Don't buy. Learning how to DIY around your home will save you money in the long run.
- DIY Decor for Days: Our Most Popular Projects & Tutorials
- 15 (Mostly Free!) Online Classes to Help You Decorate, DIY or Just Get Things Done Around the House
- Do It Yourself: 10 Things to Make Instead of Buy
- Do It Yourself: 9 More Things You Can Make Instead of Buy
"The less I know about other people’s affairs, the happier I am."
Whether or not you share a wall, developing good relationships with your neighbors can make your time in an apartment a thousand times more bearable. Most of the time, that means staying out of each others' business (and earshot).
- 4 Signs You're the Noisy Neighbor (& What You Can Do About It)
- The Neighbors are Noisy as S#*!: How to Cope When You Love Your Home But Hate Your Neighbors
- How to Not Annoy New Neighbors Right After a Move
- Alice, I Don't Want to Be Friends With My Neighbors But They Won't Quit Trying
"Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing."
If you're going to do something, do it well.
"Don't start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness."
Don't chase trends, or let other peoples opinions decide what your home or your style should look like.
- Stop Worrying: 7 Things About Your Home That Aren't a Big Deal
- Decorating Your Home: Hobby or Unhealthy Obsession?
- The 3 Things Your Home's Decor Should Always Reflect
- Advice for Creating a Home That Reflects Your Personality
- The Number One Secret to a Timeless Kitchen
"There’s only one thing I hate more than lying, and that’s skim milk. Which is water that’s lying about being milk."
The lesson here? Buy the good (full fat) stuff and treat yo' self.
Anyone want to chime in with their favorite Swanson-ism?