Change Your Space, Change Your Outlook: 10 Ways to Be Happier at Home
You could change your home or you could simply change how you feel about your home. Why not try a little of both? Here are five ideas to help you tweak your space so it’s more comfy, inviting and happy, plus five ways help you have a more positive outlook so you’ll enjoy spending time in your space no matter what.
- Change the lighting. We say it all the time: if you want your home to have a golden glow, good lighting is the easiest and fastest way to get there. Each room needs at least three separate lighting sources (and that ceiling monstrosity doesn’t count). Here are some of our lighting tips to get you started.
- Get a plant. Bringing a living thing into your space will help the whole place (and you) feel fresher and more alive.
- Clean the windows. You’ll be amazed at how much brighter (literally) your outlook on the world will be if you’re not looking at it through a layer of grime.
- Decorate with something sentimental. This is a great way to feel connected to your home. Adding some family history or travel souvenir with memories attached will give even a cold, impersonal space instant personality.
- Buy a little treat. Something new (make it bright!) will give you a little lift and punch up your space. Treat yo’self.
- Focus on one thing you love. Every room has something you love in it. Make a conscious effort to train your eye to go to that thing the moment you walk into the room. Those positive feelings will start to add up over time, really!
- Relax and restart. Bursting through the door after a rough day doesn’t start your evening in a good mental place. Don’t take your bad mood out on your house! Rest, grab a shower, get yourself a snack, whatever you need to reset your attitude and begin the next portion of your day on the right foot.
- Ignore the decor. There’s so much more going on at home than simply pillows and paintings. No matter the state of your space, the people and pets will always be up to par. Hang out with them for a while and forget your house woes.
- Get grateful. You have a lot to be grateful for so write it down. Seriously, get out a pen right now and write down one thing you’re grateful for in your home (even if it’s just that you have a home!).
- Do something fun. Making memories is key to feeling connected and at home in your space. Like game nights? Go for it. More the quiet type? Curl up with a book and get cozy.
What do you do to feel happier at home?