Puerto Rico, Domenica, and other islands in the Caribbean took a hit from another big hurricane this week. On Wednesday, Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as the most powerful hurricane (a category 4) to rock the US territory since 1932. And this comes just two weeks after Hurricane Irma ripped through the area. We've compiled a list of organizations on the front lines helping the victims of this severe storm.
- Puerto Rico's first lady, Beatriz Rosselló, has requested donations for the United for Puerto Rico fund, which will go directly to helping the citizens of the island.
- ConPRmetidos is a non profit that is accepting donations that will "be used first for immediate needs of food, shelter and water and then transition to long-term recovery efforts."
- Here's GlobalGiving's fund for Irma and Maria relief.
- There's a crowdfunding campaign on Just Giving specifically for the people of Dominica.
- The 21 US Virgin Island Relief Fund was started by NBA star Tim Duncan, who says, "I was 13 years old when Hurricane Hugo ripped through my home town in the Virgin Islands, and had my life and community forever changed. I know exactly what kind of devastation a hurricane of this magnitude can cause and want to do all I can to aid in the relief efforts for the islanders. With your help, I will match financial donations up to $1,000,000 for relief efforts in the US Virgin Islands. In addition, I am also hoping to raise an additional $1,000,000 through this ask in relief supplies for this area."
- UNICEF is continuing to help those dealing with the recent onslaught of natural disasters.
- The Sato Project is an on the ground organization in Puerto Rico working to help save displaced animals.
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD) is registering people to be volunteers. They remind people not to self-deploy and go to these places without first being contacted to do so, as it puts strain on the first responders.
- NGO Team Rubicon is also recruiting volunteers.
- You can donate blood at a local Red Cross blood donation center.
We would like to say thanks to you, the Apartment Therapy community, for always being ready to jump in with your support. Please add any additional organizations or information in the comments below!