Coastal Maine Home Showcase
This recently build home located in Maine is the third LEED Platinum home built in the country, and brings together energy and resource efficient design, with locally harvested wood, cabinets made from agricultural by-products, and recycled glass containing ceramic-tile floor.
Energy-efficient features include:
- Passive solar design with overhanging roofs and louvered awnings
- Metal roof supporting a 2-kW photovoltaic system
- Three evacuated-tube solar collectors (with 30 tubes each)
- Solar hot-water collector for hot water which is also tied into radiant heating system
- Heat-recovery ventilator
- Garage ventilation fan activated by garage-door openers
Green Building Features:
- All of the lumber and trim were FSC certified.
- Low-VOC finishes and caulks
- Locally purchased plants including indigenous shrubs and wildflowers planted on property.
- Formaldehyde-free materials
- No carpets
Burl Cabinet Faces consist of sunflower hulls and a low-VOC urethane resin, making them both healthful and renewable.