With their rapidly changing inventory and uber affordability, it's no surprise that people tend to think of IKEA as a place for stopgap buys and not "buy it for life" quality home goods. That's why it may come as a bit of a shock that the Swedish superstore actually offers 25-year warranties for three of their most popular items—suggesting that despite the low cost, IKEA is willing to stand behind some of their products... for a quarter century, no less.
Here's a breakdown of three things at IKEA that the brand says should last a quarter of a lifetime — if not longer — so remember to save your receipt.
If you're under the impression that an inexpensive mattress from IKEA isn't built-to-last, then think again. Despite their budget-friendly price tags, IKEA believes that the bulk of mattress offerings—as well as some bed bases—should last at least a couple of decades. And they gave them a 25-year warranty to prove it.
Here's what the mattress warranty covers:
- Springs in spring mattresses.
- Foam core in foam mattresses.
- Latex core in latex mattresses.
- Wooden frame, slats, and springs in slatted bed bases and mattress bases.
Here's what the mattress warranty doesn't cover:
- All mattress toppers
- JÖMNA spring mattresses
- Sofa bed mattresses
- Crib mattresses
- Children's mattresses
- SULTAN LADE slatted bed bases.
- Commercially used mattresses
2. SENIOR and SENSUELL Pots and Pans
Believe it or not, IKEA offers 25-year warranties on two of their bestselling series of pots and pans: SENIOR and SENSUELL. Covering normal, everyday residential use only (i.e. cooking and washing once a day), these warranties also cover defects in material and workmanship in all SENIOR and SENSUELL cookware products.
Here's what else the pots and pans warranty covers:
- The stability of the base of SENIOR cookware.
- SENIOR cookware washed by hand.
Here's what the pots and pans warranty doesn't cover:
- Changes in the appearance of the pot or pan unless they have a significant affect on function.
3. SLADDA bicycle frame
While the Limited Warranty for the belt drive is only ten years, the warranty for the SLADDA bicycle frame is valid for a full 25. This means that even if the parts stop working, you can count on having a solid frame to make easy repairs to.
Here's what the bicycle warranty covers:
- The bicycle frame
Here's what the bicycle warranty doesn't cover:
- Frames that have been stored, assembled or installed incorrectly, used inappropriately, abused, misused, altered, or cleaned using the wrong cleaning methods or cleaning products.
- Normal wear and tear, rust or scratches, or damage caused by impacts or accidents.
- Consequential or incidental damage.
- Modifications, adaptations, alterations and repairs of the product made by any part without authorization by IKEA.
- If a customer transports the product to their home or other address, IKEA is not liable for any damage that may occur during transport.
- Customers outside the United States (Note: some states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of incidental or consequential damage (so this limitation or exclusion may not apply to you).