You know when you pack up and move, and rid yourself of a lot of the stuff you don't want to fill up your "fresh new start"? It's a great feeling, but you're then left without...maybe without some chairs, a sofa, the right type of storage for a new layout and differently sized space...
Waiting for what you really want/need/can afford is always a good rule of thumb, but it rings especially true post-move, when you might be without some things and feel you really can't be for too long. Here are a few ideas of what to use in the interim; things that will stick around and continue to be useful after you've fleshed out your home's furnishings and longer term needs:
1. Floor cushions in lieu of a sofa or extra chairs
2. Find a great sideboard that can make the rounds at home for multiple uses over the years.
3. A small, inexpensive kitchen table (like this IKEA one) that might later be used for a kids' room, a craft room, small office, etc.
4. A futon for now (while you shop around for the perfect bed), if you'll later have space and need for guests, kids, or office use.
5. Storage baskets in lieu of the perfect dresser; use these later for more clothes, in the bathroom, kids' toys, linens, etc.
Other great ideas? Tell us yours!