I’ve Got Color! Contest: Deborah’s “blah-less” Blue Bedroom
Location: Oakland, CA
Why I use color:
“Color is a defining expression of who I am and how I want to feel. Color helps me to organize the objects and activities I choose for my living space. Color welcomes my visitors and makes them feel something different. Color comforts me. Color amazes me. Color inspires me. Color removes what’s ‘blah’ and gives me what I want.”
1. Choose a mood for your environment and pick a color that sets that mood, either by contrast or complimenting. An apartment in the heart of downtown can look great when done in woodsy colors to buffer the views outside, or go with cool, stoic colors to enhance the urban vibe.
2. I look for something I truly love and then I use that as my main color and build around it. I have chosen the color of a favorite shirt, my best friends suggested color for me, and the color of the sky outside my new windows.
3. I have a thing about light. I pay attention to how my colors look during different times of the day and with my interior lighting. I enjoy the results, play with changes or get rid of something that may go from gorgeous in the morning to flat and boring at night.
1. I like picking up brochures from the paint store that show a room with a color scheme, going to stores that have room displays (like Ikea), and websites (like West Elm) that show products used in a room. All of these places show color combinations and I can get ideas of what appeals to me.
2. I’m exploring the many ‘green’ products for the home and one of them is milk-based paint that has no harmful fumes. You can paint a room and sleep in it that night!