January Jumpstart: Jon's Ikea ROGER chair transformation #2

January Jumpstart: Jon's Ikea ROGER chair transformation #2

Jan 18, 2008

So Part Two of my January Jumpstart continues... First thing I did was, well, open the boxes and lay everything out. I figured I should lightly sand all the pieces while they were still unassembled. However, I decided I should mask out the bottom few inches before I sand. I probably should have been a bit more meticulous in measuring, but it was Saturday, and frankly, I was too lazy to dig up a ruler...

So, I just grabbed a small booklet/pamphlet I had laying around and used that as a marker on all four legs. Then I proceeded to sand, using the finest grade sandpaper I could find at the hardware store for my trusty Mouse sander.

After that, i did a "dry fit" of the chairs (I was only doing two chairs, so I figured I would do them at the same time) and got them to stay up without falling. I did this so I could get the paint in the all the cracks. I suppose you could just as easily assemble it first and then paint as well. Anyway, I chose to spray paint the whole thing because 1) I had a bunch of spray paint left over from previous projects, and 2) I was lazy. (it was Saturday after all).

Finally, after a coat of spray primer (highly recommended), two coats of semi-gloss white spray paint, and then two coats of spray lacquer (to protect the finish and harden it), I was ready for the reveal...

Check out Laure's great post on how to spray paint a chair here.

Stay tuned for the final results in the room...

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt