Jen & Andrew’s Colorful Bungalow
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Jen Garcia & Andrew Carnwath
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Size: 1,600 square feet
Years lived in: 6 years; Owned
Jen and Andrew, known also in the Richmond antique trading fold as The Odd Couple, have an eye for the delightfully unusual, and a knack for bringing it all together to create a space that is as curious as it is inviting. Throughout their space, sophisticated furniture and an abundance of curios combine harmoniously against a backdrop of richly colored walls.
With so many distinctive details, Jen and Andrew’s home certainly offers a visual feast for the curious onlooker. You won’t find a single white wall in Jen and Andrew’s uniquely decorated Richmond home and their six year-old daughter deserves props as well for her juxtaposition of super pink walls and a full drum kit.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A mix of antiques contemporary, and not taking ourselves too seriously.
Inspiration: Richmond, Halloween, Antiques, Collectables
Favorite Element: Our own personal touch. We have tackled every room in the house with projects as small as trim and paint or as big as tearing down walls and jacking up floors. Each step has had its headaches and learning curves, but it feels great to walk around our home and remember how far it’s come, and the friends that helped along the way.
Biggest Challenge: A one month kitchen remodel that took 6 months with no running water and our daughter crawling around tools and rusty nails.
What Friends Say: Did you forget to take down your Halloween decorations?
Biggest Embarrassment: Painting our living room 3 times until we found the perfect burnt orange.
Proudest DIY: The Kitchen/Dining Room Remodel.
Biggest Indulgence: The Kitchen – We love our kitchen.
Best Advice: Take your time and have a plan.
Dream Sources: Our Friends’ Shops, Antique Malls, Yard Sales, Thrift Shops, Estate Sales, Auctions. We also rotate a lot of our own pieces from our antiques business, The Odd Couple.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Pumpkin Patch by Benjamin Moore (Living Rm)
- Walnut Hill by Clark + Kensington – Walnut Hill (Entry)
- Bronzed Beige by Benjamin Moore (Dining Rm)
- Peppercorn by Sherwin Williams (Den)
- Youthful Coral by Behr (Guest Rm)
- Glass Slipper by Benjamin Moore (Master Bedroom)
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Blue – by Valspar National Trust (Kitchen Cabinets)
- Chickering Studio piano and bench– Estate Sale
- Table next to piano – Antique Humidor – Andrew’s Grandmom
- Paintings above piano:
- Sailor Captain – oil – west end antiques
- Fox Head – Carved and casted by Andrew and painted by Adelina
- Ceramic Deer Plate – Acquired in Granada, Spain
- Voo Doo Doll – Acquired from a high priestess in New Orleans
- Other tchotchkes:
- Ceramic Cat – Acquired from Warm Springs, VA Thrift Store
- Two taxidermy Squirrels – Estate Sales
- Taxidermist’s Original Gaff
- Nob Nail Milk Glass Lamp – Antique Shop in Petersburg
- Abe Lincoln print in Antique frame – Andrew’s parents
- Painting Andrew Wyeth – Berry Picker
- Fireplace Architectural salvage – Caravati’s
- Built-Ins around Fireplace – Built by Andrew
- Coffered ceiling – Built by Andrew
- Antique Family Folk Chest – Andrew’s Parents
- Stained Glass Window – Made by Jen
- Shadowbox above fireplace Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany – Era Vintage
- Red taxidermy fox head – estate sale
- Couch – Rowe Couch
- Drop Leaf Mahogany side table – West End Antiques
- Tole Lamp – West End Antiques
- Painting above couch – Commissioned painting by our friend Nick Kuszyk
- Chair + ottoman – Ikea STRANDMON
- Cabinets – Woodcraft
- Cabinet hardware – Vandykes.com
- Tile backsplash – 3×6 Subway Tile – Purchased Through Morris Tile and Installed by Tony Brown
- Counters – Calcutta Grey from Satterwhite
- Sink – Ikea DOMSJÖ
- Faucet – Kingston Brass Wall Mount Faucet
- Dishwasher & Oven – Fridgedaire
- Rug Oriental – estate sale
- Couch – Rowe Couch
- Painting of dog – estate sale
- Two Etchings – wedding gifts
- Paper Masks – Purchased masks at the American Visionary Art Museum
- Am Radio from the 20’s
- Converted Oil Student Lamp – Auction
- Glass display cabinet – Purchased at estate sale
- Taxidermy Fox – estate sale
- Converted oil student lamp – antique mall
- Original illustration of Ghost of Christmas Past by a family friend
- Vintage Post Card of Cat – Antiqued mall
- Child’s Desk – Family
- Two Arm Chairs – Uncle
- Bedroom Set – Antique acorn post bed, Vanity, Dresser, End Table – Jen’s Grandparents
- Bed linens and pillows and throw – Vintage bed spread – Andrew’s Mother
- Pillows – Target
- Throw- Target
- Vintage Bahamas Map – Antique Shop
- Pencil on board “Ruthie and Sabu” by ?
- Bedside lamp – Metal lamp with hurricane glass – Thrift Shop
- Cat on shelf under bedside table – Purchased in Paris
- Rug – Contemporary Wool
- Bed linens – Pottery Barn
- Chest at foot of bed – Cedar Chest by Lane
- Bedroom Furniture – Mid Century by Lane
- Two bedside tables – Antique Sewing Machine Tables – Thrift
- Sconces next to beds – Pottery Barn
- Victorian looking chair – Acquired at Auction
- Cat Pillow – Needle Point – Antique Shop
Thanks, Jen & Andrew!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!