- Oak Park, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- What I love: An unapologetic plant hoarder, I love the expanse of southern windows that allows my addiction to thrive. It’s my little tropical sanctuary from the urban jungle that’s outside.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Don't be inhibited by the limitations of your space. Working around them can sometimes result in something special. There are only 2 outlets in the main room/sun room. My favorite nesting results, the silk sari 'wainscoting' and the 'carpet mosaic', evolved from attempts to hide the ugly tangles of extension cords.
2. Trust in your own taste and don't worry about 'creating' a beautiful space, if you're honest to your own aesthetic, it will naturally evolve into something that you find beautiful.
3. In my first few apartments, my landlords had prohibited painting the walls. I thus got into the routine of hanging curtains for color. It was an easy, inexpensive way to create a temporary accent wall that you can take with you when you move.