Name: Kelly & Matt
Location: Silver Lake — Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,400 square feet
Years lived in: 3½ — owned
Kelly, a fashion designer, and Matt, an attorney (and DJ), have created a home that mixes clean, formal elements gracefully with really fun pieces collected from flea markets and high end boutiques. Their love of tiki materials is shown throughout their home and connects the interior with their lush outdoor space.
Much like Kelly's nature-inspired clothing line, the interior design of their home is marked with whimsy and exoticism and incorporates classic vintage design in a modern way. Their home includes many natural elements from room to room in the use of wood, grasscloth, and pottery. The furniture and paint colors are also fixed to a natural palette. They incorporate color through their art and accessories. The couple's fondness for tiki decor is rooted in the striking qualities that come forth in the elements and patterns of their ceramic mugs, masks, textiles, and bamboo. I personally love the way they display textiles as art.
The master bedroom opens up directly to the patio and backyard which features really beautiful landscaping. Don't miss Kelly's garage turned studio in back. You can see how takes a similar approaches in her fashion and interior design.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Primitive Modern / natural elements mixed with mid century. Low end / high end / vintage mix. A modern take on tiki.
Inspiration: Patterns in nature, primitive culture and art, mid century design
Favorite Element: Wood
Biggest Challenge: Not having any more space to put art or furniture!
What Friends Say: Wow! You guys really like Tiki.
Proudest DIY: Wallpapering the closet door in guest room.
Best Advice: Mixing vintage, high end and low end furniture, Far East influenced pieces and a mixture of the elements (stone/wood/metal) helps create a well balanced, warm and visually interesting design.
Dream Sources: ABC Carpet and a job at Schumacher designing wallpaper.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Martha Stewart mushroom
• Modern masters have metallic paints — but please use as solid and not for fauxing!
- • Cork lamp: Fairfax flea market find
• table: West Elm
• Vintage shell dish to put keys in: Frankoma, a vintage store in Florida
- • Couch: Mitchell Gold Bob Williams
• Slipper Chairs- Living Room Silverlake (made by local Silverlake furniture designer)
• Moroccan chest: vintage
• large cork lamp: vintage
• Mid Century nesting tables: Mohawk General Store
• Side board: West Elm
• Vintage pictures from Korea
• Coral: shell shop in Morro Bay
- • Dining table: Mitchell Gold Bob Williams
• Chairs: Pottery Barn (on sale for $19 each!)
• Vintage Witco art on wall
• Vintage bar from an import store
- • Bed: West Elm
• Chest: vintage Indian chest from Phoenix flea market
- • Grass cloth wallpaper
• Vintage tiki mug collection
- • Sink: Home Expo (which was a great store)
• Wood floor bath mat
- • Art pieces: range from vintage Witco, the Woodcarver and Ken Pleasant
Thanks, Matt & Kelly!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.