Switch plates are oft overlooked places for potential design! I never think about the switch plate covers in my house, but after seeing some of these amazing designs, that's about to change. You can cover your plate in washi tape or Mod Podged paper or fabric, or you can check out one of these more complicated tutorials. Or, if you just want to hand over your credit card, we've found some beautiful ones to purchase, too.
TOP ROW, DIYs
1. Book spines, from Homedit. If you have some old books laying around, or if you simply want to get reproductions of book spines, this idea is perfect for a book worm's room.
2. Glow in the dark, from Resin Obsession. Kill two birds with one stone and get a night light out of your switch plate with this tutorial on making a glow in the dark light cover.
3. Play LEGO cover, from Instructables. No Kragle necessary, you can build a light switch cover that is playable, so your kids can change up the scene whenever they want.
4. Painted Cover, from Unique Baby Gear Ideas. Choose any theme you want, painting a switchplate cover is simple and allows you to perfectly match your child's room decor.
5. Steampunk, from Steampunk Workshop. You're gonna need a blow torch for this one, but it's cool enough that you might want to invest. Or just use a super strong glue for all your watch parts.
BOTTOM ROW, TO BUY
6. LEGO Firefighters, $40 from Brick Schtick. Valerie Glasser makes all kinds of amazing LEGO scene switch plate covers, from these traditional firefighters to Star Wars to superheroes and more.
7. Power-Up Arcade Light Switch Plate, $14.99 at Think Geek. Pew pew! Turn on the light old school style with this arcade controller switch.
8. Wood Shark Switchplate, $28 from Graphic Spaces Wood. Laser cut wood in lots of different designs make for beautiful switch plates.
9. Toggle Switch Plate, $40 at Uncommon Goods. Flipping a switch is easy, but you can make it more fun with this Rube Goldberg-esque toggle switch.
10. Save the Owls, $11 at Etsy Shop Turn Me On Art. Although it's just a plastic plate covered with paper, this piece makes it look like you have an expensive wood plate in your room.