Restaurants know that an enjoyable meal starts with the atmosphere. If you're looking to bring a bit of that philosophy into your kitchen, check out some inspiring ideas from restaurants across the globe.
1. Don't fear color. White is classic, but it can also be sterile and boring. Don't be afraid to add some color to your space. As long as you stick to shades of one color or a single saturation level (brights, pastels), it's hard to mess up.
2. Shop in other rooms. Who says you have to stick with hard-backed chairs and overhead lighting? Restaurants often use sofas, settees, billowing drapes, and even floor lamps to create a comfortable atmosphere.
3. Work in storage wherever possible. If you're short on space, open storage can be a saving grace. It doubles as décor and keeps the cabinets open for the less attractive stuff.
4. Don't forget the ceiling. So you may not want ribbon garland or mirrors overhead all the time, but the ceiling is another opportunity to express yourself. Even adding crown molding or an accent color can really perk up a space.
5. Have fun. The kitchen is the heart of the home, so be a little lighthearted. Add some whimsy and show off your personality. If that means upholstering your chairs with comics, adding a swing, or even just adding decals to the tile, go for it and enjoy yourself.
Have you been inspired by restaurants?
(Images: 1. Lifeforms Design via Arcidec, 2-5. Indoorsphoto, 6. Lazaro Rosa-Violan, 7. Ippolito Fleitz Group via Central Interior Design, 8. Indoorsphoto, 9. Bright.Bazaar, 10. Ippolito Fleitz Group via Central Interior Design)