With the right combination of shape, materials, and functionality, an island can be a show-stopping centerpiece for your kitchen. I've got a kitchen island fixation, and lately I'm noticing plenty of clever, luxe, glamorous, or just plain OTT islands floating around the internet. Here's a round-up of some of the best.
Sculptural Spaces (above)
- I love the modern simplicity of this marble island with its cantilevered tabletop in this kitchen by Katty Shiebeck. Via Ace of Space.
- Ditto this huge, chunky piece of polished marble in this Metaform Architects home, found via Contemporist.
- This island is a swooping sculpture in the middle of a contemporary kitchen in the Vancouver House Estates.
- The table section of this island rests on an elegant wooden base in a kitchen by Platinum Building Group on Houzz.
- Technically a table rather than an island, this concrete number from Vogue Casa Portugal makes a bold feature out of a flooring transition.
- With its thick, white Corian, gold resin, and a gold-leaf faceted base, this kitchen featured in Architectural Digest is all-out glam.
- The small, wood island in this kitchen by The Brooklyn Home Company on Houzz makes a big impact with its rustic and hand-carved appeal.
- I'm obsessed with this Swedish home by Claesson Koivisto Rune and its gleaming box of a brass island.
- This aged-brass and concrete island was made by Rupert Bevan for a church conversion in London.
- Though it's a bit quieter than some of the others, I still love the timber-and-marble combo in this kitchen by Robson Rak Architects in Vogue Australia. Via Cococozy.
- The false wall that surrounds this kitchen island by Alts Design of Japan is painted the sunniest shade of yellow.
- Green is good in this kitchen by Bestor Architecture that's neutral but for a bright, bold island. Via Desire to Inspire.
- The bold orange of this island by VMX Architects extends to the tap, too. Via Liebal.
- This walnut island by Ursula Maier Werkstätten for Schorn & Groh features hot pink countertops in a case of contrasts. Via Bungalow 5.
- But why choose just one color? Go crazy, as in this kitchen featured in InsideOut. Via Design is Mine.
Weird, Wonky, Wonderful?
- I like the way this island is "hugged" by a table, creating a multi-level and -functional space in this kitchen by VP Interiors. Via Houzz.
- This kitchen by b-arch architettura of Italy uses an antique shop counter as a centerpiece.
- An island with another island inside it makes fantastic use of space, as featured in Better Homes and Gardens.
- An island made of Lego? Why not? This one, made out of 20,000 Legos by Simon Pillard and Philippe Rossetti, was featured in Dwell. Via Lifehack.
- This bespoke island aquarium from Kolenik is as out-there as they come.