- New York City, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- It's light, bright, and old enough to have interesting architectural features - like the square details below the window sills and the ancient wood floors.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Give it time - Don't expect to find the perfect solution for your space the moment you move in. If you can deal with a little messiness for a month or two (or six!) it will help you take the time you need to find every object its perfect place.
2. Don't be afraid to mix light and dark paint in a small home - The grey paint in the kitchen creates a sense of space, and so do the pale blues in the living room and bedroom! If you're open to mixing and matching, you can make your space feel more expansive by contrasting darker, cozier corners with lighter ones.
3. Embrace do-it-yourself projects: Both the coffee table and end table in the living room are homemade with supplies from Home Depot. Each took a little over an hour to complete, and I could adjust the design to my own needs and style (for example, the side table is extra-slim to fit the small space). Don't let a fear of power tools keep you from saving money and time while furnishing.