- Seattle, WA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- This is my first place living on my own! I wanted to create different living zones and seclude my bed as best as I could. My "couch" is small enough for the apartment, big enough for two smaller people (myself included), and separate enough from my workspace. Many of the decoration items were gifts and personal mementos; vintage postcard of the Roman Forum from my study abroad roommate, a large size photograph of the Tetons I took last summer.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Everything needs to have its own place. When I said "YES!" to this apartment, I instantly thought about my luggage, art supplies, linens, snowboard gear, Swiffer mop... Some things are pretty to show, some are better left tucked away in a closet far far away (or underneath the bed)
2. Form follows function. Think about the things you do at home! For me, two things matter the most. First; the bed needs to be as far away from the kitchen as possible. I absolutely despise smelling like deep fried fish and Mexican restaurants, let alone going to sleep with it. Second, a workspace that fits my little "keyboard studio", along with a set of monitor speakers and my macbook (luckily my window sill is deep enough).
3. Lighting! Although I haven't achieved it and haven't invested much, I've realized that lighting is THE game changer. Designate zones using lighting, and put dimmers on. I'm still looking for the right hanging fixture for my "living space"!