- Lauren & Ben
- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Light. Height. Outdoors. We searched far and wide for the perfect blend of space and light and found our dream home when we found both plus a terrace. The oversized windows flood the apartment with sunlight during the day time, turning a day off into a staycation. The duplex layout makes the home feel more spacious than the square footage suggests, and the minimally outfitted bedroom makes turning down at night feel akin to a hotel stay in a treehouse. The large outdoor terrace keeps us sane and provides the perfect spot to start the day with a cup of coffee and end the day with a glass of wine.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. White everywhere. Simplicity has its rewards: in addition to the clean, spacious feel white walls give you, it also presents a blank canvas for frequent edits or additions. As tempting as a brightly painted wall/room is, it can be difficult to edit when you desire change. We prefer the ease of rearranging when the mood strikes over the chore of repainting. This gives us more time to play!
2. Less, but better. As Dieter Rams posits, good design is as little design as possible. Surround yourself with essentials you love and you will be happy.
3. Go big. Small spaces needn’t prevent you from adding large pieces. In fact, these full size items serve as anchors to your home and are future-proof much more so than acquiring many small pieces meant to fit a specific layout.