- New York , NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love that it feels cozy, yet light - a place where we (my boyfriend and I) feel uplifted from the weight of this crazy city. We tried to bring together the brightness, clean lines and order that we love of Scandinavian & Mid-century design, with more organic textures that make it feel welcoming.
We've furnished it with a blend of unique and special pieces, such as a grandfather's armchair, a mid-century credenza that I refinished myself, and some fun antiques purchased at Brimfield Antique Show. It feels like a reflection of us, rather than a replica of a mainstream store.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Keep it (aesthetically) clean! Look for pieces that don't weigh down the room, but instead visually create more space. For example, the credenza was all wood when I bought it, but by painting the trim with white, it lightened up the whole room.
2. Go bold! We were nervous to paint the entryway and bedroom dark colors, but found that it actually draws the eye upward and made our space feel bigger. Also, by hanging our photo wall all the way to the ceiling, rather than stop at eye level, we were able to break away from what we usually see and have fun with the space.
3. Keep the big picture in mind - One-off pieces are great (and often tempting!), but think about how everything will be united in a room. Try to choose a general look and go with it, otherwise it will start to feel cluttered.