- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the warm light, coziness, and tiny sliver of ocean that you can see from our beach bungalow. The house feels spacious despite its size, and it forces me to rein in my "collecting" tendencies and be thoughtful and selective about the objects/clothing/art that fill the space. We bought very few new things when we moved in - most of the items are thrift store finds or hand-me-downs from family.
We gut renovated the kitchen and bathroom and knocked down a wall - it makes it feel so much more spacious and bright. We did a lot of the work ourselves, and I love that all of the idiosyncrasies and imperfections are "ours." The house was a labor of love, and it's become a haven for us in the city.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Use rugs to deliniate distinct "spaces" for different uses in a small, open floor plan home.
2. Plants and light: they will make the space feel larger than it actually is. Incorporate plants of varying heights and choose window coverings that allow the maximum amount of light to come in during the day.
3. Pare down - this is an obvious one, but it's tough. Group similar things/accessories together in one place, it'll help avoid that feeling of clutter. And when you buy something you love, stick to the "one in, one out" rule.