After a holiday, we're always left with a lot of food. We hate throwing it out so into the fridge it goes to be used again and again. Sometimes we just eat it cold from the fridge (cold pizza or Chinese food is a favorite breakfast), sometimes we heat it up. More often we use it as an excuse to get creative! Here are some of our favorite ways to use up leftover food.
• Shepherd's Pie: Use whatever leftover meat you have, even chicken! It's also a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
• Use leftover ham for a quiche; use the bone to make lentil soup.
• Puree your vegetables with a little stock, or cream for a vegetable soup.
• Try the vegetable pot pie from this post.
Stale Bread / Leftover Rice
• Leftover rice? Try these five ideas.
• Make this Italian Bread Soup with or without mussels.
• Now that tomatoes are starting to show up, try this bread salad. Cucumbers, olives, and even sliced hard boiled eggs are great additions.
• Gazpacho is a classic way to use up leftover bread. Sub canned for fresh if tomatoes haven't yet started appearing in your market or skip the tomatoes all together and try a white gazpacho with almonds, bread, garlic, lemon and, if you have it, cucumber.
For more ideas, head on over to our sister site, The Kitchn.