Let’s Do This! Hang an Adorable Air Plant This Weekend
You know what everyone could use more of? Little design elements that make you smile every time you see them. And that’s exactly what an air plant does. Adding an air plant in your home might sound too easy to dedicate a whole Apartment Therapy Weekend Project assignment to — but that’s the beauty of it! It is easy. And once you take a tiny bit of time to do this assignment you’ll be happy with the near instant result of a cheerier spot in your home.
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
Weekend Project: Hang an air plant to perk up a part of your home!
Trendy for a few years, the air plant is now a classic design element — and extremely versatile in all styles of spaces. It looks great anywhere from hanging in the corner of a kitchen to sprucing up a tabletop vignette. Whether you and air plants are old friends or you’ve drooled over the idea on Pinterest but haven’t yet tried it, this weekend we want you to find a cute air plant, pick a spot in your home that could use a pick-me-up, and fill it with this fun, easy, and alive design element!
And while the temperatures might still be lovely, let’s not forget winter is coming. Let’s add these pops of green cheer to our homes now so we can prepare for the cold days, dreary weather and less light. Adding a few air plants in surprising places in your home might just be what you need to make getting through this winter a little bit easier. (And bonus: air plants make great gifts, so you could practice making fun vessels for air plants and come up with ideas for handmade gifts, getting ahead of your gift giving this year!)
And of course, we’ll have a blogger (the lovely Kimber Watson this weekend) doing this alongside us all to share ideas, tips and lessons!
Things to remember:
- Grab your air plants now so you have them for the weekend! And decide what kind of container you’re going to want to hang them in. You can find air plants from a local nursery or online, like on Etsy.
- Rather not hang one? There are so many ideas for incorporating air plants in your home. Get creative! (And then show us what you come up with.)
- Air plants don’t just live on air! They can live without soil, but they do need light and regular waterings (some folks run them under the sink, spritz with a water bottle or soak them for half an hour once a week).
Some helpful links:
- The IT Plant, Air Plant
- 10 Ways to Display Air Plants
- Unique Air Plant Vessels
- Here Is Probably the Easiest Table Centerpiece Ever: Air Plants, 4 Ways
- How To “Frame” Airplants
Share your project!
There are no embarrassing fridge interiors or junk drawers to confess to this week! But we would love to see the before and after photos of a spot in your home that gets a dose of cheer from a cute air plant. So take to Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr with the hashtag #atweekendproject. We’ll be looking for you!