- Astoria, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We almost walked away from this rental because of how rough the condition was (think murals and honey oak), but I'm so glad that we didn't. We are right down the street from all kinds of great restaurants and bars in the heart of Astoria.
With a lot of DIY's we maximized the function within our tiny budget. In the kitchen we stripped all the honey oak cabinets and re-stained them a richer tone, added hardware, shelving, and put contact paper over the beige counters and backsplash. I was also able to make a buffet out of an old desk, and make the mini blinds into roman shades.
Having some outdoor space and room to garden is incredible. It makes a small apartment feel much bigger. We were even able to take a table that someone threw out and repurpose the base into a new outdoor table.
The most important thing about this apartment is that it was dog friendly, so we were finally able to add a new furry family member (you can see him sleeping under the dining table).
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Buy a good drill.
2. Take the time to measure and digitally layout rooms in all possible configurations. It makes a big difference in being able to maximize the space. If you don't have a lot of floor space just go vertical!
3. Fill it with furry creatures and people you love.